Caridina japonica - breeding Vol.1

Through building and maintaining beautiful nature aquaria people re-learn the intricate connections between forms of life, plants, fish, microorganism and humans. Riches and beauty come from harmony, from balance. Aquaria are great teachers of this truth. TAKASHI AMANO

5/31/2006

The 3rd day !!!

The Amano female released all the eggs and I returned her back to the main freshwater tank. Mike Noren says that female should not be kept in brackish waters. The adult will tolerate high salinity but the eggs will fail to hatch (happened to Mike two times). Some claim that the adult female will die in salty conditions. In my case the female survived and as soon it was placed back into the freshwater tank started eating and behaving as usual. My eggs did hatch and the larvae are swimming with head down.
Today I can count approx. 13 larvae, but it is so hard to spot them.
I managed a good photo today and here it is posted.
Today I fed a small amount of yeast dissolved in a bit of aquarium water. As I mentioned before, I have no personal experience with raising Amano larvae. The water turned cloudy, but the larvae seem to be still moving as usual.
Water parameters;
Temperature is on 31'C (Celsius)
pH 7.8
KH 4
GH 5
Ammonia 0 ppm
NitrIte 0 ppm
NitrAte 15-20ppm
3 tea-spoons of salt per 1 gallon
Lights are on for 24 hours/7

Photo by Dusko Bojic